[ExI] Zombie Detector (was Re:Do digital computers feel?)

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 18:06:59 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Good question.  Let me first ask you a question, then based on your
> answer, I will be able to better answer your questions.
>

> Let's say you duplicate a person, possibly with a Star Trek like
> transporter.  Except you make one minor change.  You completely swap the
> new persons redness knowledge with their greenness knowledge.  I would say
> you have still successfully transported them, that you have achieved
> multiple-realizability and functionally they will be identical.

I believe personal identity is something that falls on a spectrum, so you
can say there is a successful transport even if it is not 100% identical,
but of course this leads to the question of where do you draw the line. I
am not sure that such a line can be drawn.

> But, the new person represents knowledge of strawberries with a greenness
> quality.  Do these before and after people have "identical mental states"?

If one person is remembering red strawberries, and the duplicate is
remembering green strawberries, I would say they are not identical mental
states.

I believe that every change to someone's qualia requires a change to their
mind/brain, but not all changes to a mind/brain will result in differently
experienced qualia. This is the essence of multiple realizability, a
many-to-one relationship between brain states and mental states, and an
overall abandonment of the importance of the substrate (so long as the same
mind-states appear the same to the person from the inside).

Jason