[ExI] Universal basic income

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:36:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:16 PM, William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A better solution would be to hook those farmers up with food processors
>> who will take non-retail-grade peaches to make, for example, peach jam or
>> peach pie.
>
> I don't think they had the jam choice.  Why didin't they just let the
> pickers take them home?  Rules, stupid rules.

But they had the pie choice?  (If there's thousands of tons *in one
location* being wasted, that's a market opportunity right there.  Just
tell any good jam or pie franchise operation, and if you're telling
them the truth, they'll most likely set up shop and vacuum up most to
all of the waste.  If, OTOH, it's in a thousand places averaging a ton
per year...well, even that could support local industry.)

I'd need to see the specifics, but it's possible the peaches were
treated with pesticides such that they'd kill the pickers if (as would
surely happen) the pickers ate them without washing and other measures
the retail-grade peaches got.  Alternately, the determination as to
retail-grade vs. not may have happened long after the pickers were
involved - say, at the local plant, whose owners don't have a clue
what to do with peaches they can't just sell to market.  (They might
leap at "sell them to a jam maker" if anyone could recommend one they
could do business with.  But short of this being pointed out to
them...well, as it's said, they're not "dumb" per se, just "of focused
competence".)