[ExI] Am I the only one freaked out by this?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 12:42:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:28 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's not what photo ID is supposed to do. John K Clark is already
> registered to vote, they are already convinced that John K Clark is a US
> citizen and is
>> old
>> enough to vote and is not a convicted felon. When I go to the polls the
> only question they might have is
>> "are you
>> really John K Clark?".
>> A photo ID issued by a State University can answer that question just as
> well as a concealer carry permit
>> can.

No. A state university ID can only show that you have a state university ID
in the name of John K Clark. In Tennessee, and probably everywhere else
that has them, carry permits require proof of identification (birth
certificate or passport), background check, and fingerprinting. When I went
to a state university they didn't do anything like that before giving an ID.

> The only difference between the two is one gives a hint that I am likely
> to vote for Trump and the other a hint that I am likely
> ​not​
>  going to vote for Trump
> ​, the state legislators knew this and that's why the law is the way it
> is.

That's an alternative fact. Frankly, I don't understand the objection to
requiring a state-issued ID to vote.

-Dave