[ExI] Am I the only one freaked out by this? [GOV]

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 26 15:41:24 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:23 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Am I the only one freaked out by this? [GOV]

On 26 January 2017 at 14:28, Mike Dougherty  wrote:
>>... Suppressing discourse on government is a bad precedent.
>
>>... Maybe we could agree to a subject-line keyword for the sake of a
> filter for those who wish to opt-out of seeing tagged threads...
>

>...It is not occasional discussion about government that people are fed up
with.

>...It's the continual moaning and wailing about Trump. It is pointless and
a waste of Exi time...

>...BillK

Ja to all.  There is a strategy I have taken: focus on policy if necessary
but leaving out mention of any particular individual.  I know that can be
hard to do without mentioning the name associated with the office.  How
would one comment on this highly-relevant topic without bringing in
personalities:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/24/senator-and-congressman-introduce-restri
cting-first-use-of-nuclear-weapons-act-trump/

I think it is a marvelous idea and should have been done a long time ago.  I
have theorized (perhaps unrealistically optimistical) that it was done a
long time ago, but I have no evidence (there wouldn't be any (and the
office-holder in question might not be aware either.))

Keep in mind the roots of Extropians: we were the branch of transhumanism
associated with libertarianism.  20 years ago, most of our discussion was
political.  I do not advocate a return to that, only a reminder.  So mark it
if gov, keep it sane, keep it civil, keep it smart, fair game, post away.