[ExI] AI poker

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:04:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 8:33 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​I've calculated the odds and I figure my hand is slightly more likely to
> be stronger than yours, but only slightly, and you can calculate odds too
> and you are not acting as if ​you have a weak hand, you are not folding and
> instead you are doubling down and betting very aggressively. Why are you
> doing this? Maybe you beat the odds and got a very good hand. Or maybe you
> just want me to think that. If I fold now I'll  loose some money but if I
> see your bet I could loose even more, but the same is true for you too so
> if your hand is weak why are you looking so damn confided? Are you bluffing
> or are you for real, should I see your bet or fold? The correct decision
> isn't obvious to me.

There is no "correct" decision for every hand because all of the players
have incomplete knowledge. These competitions consist of playing thousands
of hands, and the advantage goes to the players best able to calculate the
probabilities of the cards and their opponent's behavior. Clearly, the AI
has the edge in calculating the card probabilities. It also has the
advantage of perfect memory of every hand played and every time an opponent
bluffed.

-Dave