[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 17:06:08 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:27 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Long ago, when people were still people (around 1966 for me), at the U of
> Alabama they put in a TV course for Psych 101.  My job was to take roll and
> turn on the TV.  50 minutes later I turned it off.  Prof was not the most
> exciting teacher, I admit.  But at the end of the semester the survey
> showed that about 90% of the students hated the course taught that way.  I
> could stop the tape and answer questions but nobody ever asked.
>

> So some people can sit and watch a screen and learn just as well, but
> maybe some can't.

What Spike and I are talking about is much more than sitting and watching
videotapes. Maybe you should actually try the physiology course he
suggested.

> Maybe what is needed is to greatly increase the amount of money paid to
> these teachers, so we can get the very best ones - ones who may not want to
> go to a classroom etc. but who will go to a studio and record everything
> there, preferably in front of some students who can ask penetrating
> questions.  That way the evaluation is done before the class is even
> taught, by the students who  attended the recording.

That's obviously not going to happen, and if it did, the cost of classes
would skyrocket even faster.

There are many things wrong with college education and expense is a major
> one.  If basics are taught, the famous prof gets a big chunk of money, but
> his lectures are vetted and can be used for several years, or even nearly
> forever if something like Shakespeare or trig is taught.  The best teachers
> can make big differences in motivation and understanding.

Agreed.

> Why not do like the old lawyers did:  study it on their own and pass the
> bar exam?  No law school courses needed.  Why couldn't this be done for
> math and many other subjects?

Why indeed?

Labs are not mentioned.  Aren't they useful in many cases?  Take chemistry
> online and never get the opportunity to blow up the lab?

Sure, people studying to be chemists need to do lab work: that's a required
job skill. But not everyone studying chemistry needs that skill.

-Dave