[ExI] religious thoughts of the day

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:05:48 UTC 2017

>From Joseph Campbell - Myths to Live By

A learned gentleman attending a world conference on the history of religion
visited a number of Buddhist and Shinto shrines in Japan.  He was puzzled
and asked a Shinto priest "You know, I've been now to a good many
ceremonies and have seen quite a number of shrines, but I don't get the
ideology; I don't get your theology."

The priest replied; "I think we don't have ideology.  We don't have
theology.  We dance."

JC - "All societies are evil, sorrowful, inequitable; and so they will
always be.  So if you really want to help this world, what you will have to
teach is how to live in it.  And that no one can do who has not himself
learned how to live in it in the joyful sorrow and sorrowful joy of the
knowledge of life as it is."

bill w