[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 17:10:43 UTC 2017

Hi Stathis,

You, and john are completely missing the point, and making obvious
mistakes (as it seems to me) by doing so, and not modeling things with
anything in your theory that is redness, such that it is distinguishable
from greenness.  Can you not see that everything you are talking about
is removing the ability to distinguish between anything that is redness
and greenness. Remember, for Stathis, every time I use the word
"glutamate" you should think of a pattern of neurons firing in a
particular "functional" way, that is a redness experience.  And you have
a binding neuron that can detect the function that is redness, and tell
when it is different than the a different set of neurons, functioning as
a greenness experience.  Remember, that nothing but this particular set
of neurons, firing in exactly the right functional way, outputting the
correct neurotransmitter at the right time will convince the binding
neuron/system that it is redness, which is different than greenness.
So, when you are representing redness with a 0 (anything that does not
have redness), you must interpret this zero, back into the correct set
of neurotransmitters being fed to the detecting neuron, in the right
functional pattern.  And all ones, anything that is not greeness, must
be translated back to the identical functional set of synapses
neurotransmitter firings, before the not yet replaced binding neuron
will say: "Yes that is still redness".  In other words, when you replace
all the redness functions with ones, and all the greenness functions
with zeros, they all must be translated back to the right set of
functional synapses firing, and fed to the binding neuron, for it to
say:  That compost experience is made up of redness and greenness.

The mistake in Stathis logic is revealed when he says things like: " It
cannot possibly say "wait, back up, that glycine isn't anything like its
neighbouring redness glutamate", because the neurons controlling speech
will all be firing in exactly the same way as before."  Can you not see
how this is removing any necessary functionality required to distinguish
between redness and greenness?  The binding system, whatever you
theorize it might be, must be able to detect the difference between
whatever it is that is doing the greenness function, and whatever is
doing the gredness function, and whatever is doing a oneness function,
and whatever it is that is doing the zeroness function.  If you present
anything to the binding system, without the proper interpretation
mechanism, converting back to the real redness it can detect, it must be
able to fire differently, saying that is not real redness.  Otherwise
you are removing the ability to distinguish between redness and
greenness, whatever it is.

Once you replace simple glutamate and glycene, with very complected
things like sets of functioning neurons firing in a particular
functional way, things become so complicated, you can't see the
theoretical qualitative mistakes you are making.  You must remember that
your continued arguments against glutamate not being redness do not
apply.  As they only are redness and greenness in the idealized
simplified theoretical world.  As I've said many times, this has nothing
to do with the obviously much more complex real world.  It is just meant
as a simplistic model, so you can think about the fact that there must
be something that is doing the redness function and there must be
something that is doing the greenness function.  And there must be
womething that can bind these two together into a composit qualitative
experience that can say: "Yes, those are qualitatively different" - not
fire in the same way, when they are substituted out and replaced with
something else.

Earlier, Stathis claimed: "But the comparison of redness and greenness,
or anything else whatsoever that the system does, will necessarily occur
provided only that the substituted part is behaviourally identical"  In
other words, you are saying that there is a way to distinguish between
redness and greenness, as long as it is behaviorally identical. But you
can't see the mistake you are making with this.  If you swap anything
being presented to the binding system, with anything that is not
redness, especially a 1, it must say: "that is not redness"  it cannot
say it is redness, or behave in the same way.  It must behave
differently, otherwise it is not functioning correctly and not able to
distinguish qualitative differences.

Brent