[ExI] sex - was Re: The smart-stupid dimension

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat May 20 16:01:51 UTC 2017

although still far from powerless the genes are no longer it total control
of the robots they created, us.

John K Clark     ​

Learning was a feature of organic life millions of years before man.  It
functioned as a feedback system to the instincts the genes provided.  So
even one-celled animals were not robots of a strict S-R type.  Now we
understand a bit about epigenetics, which change genes during our
lifetimes.  Depending on your focus, genes provide about half the causal
properties of our everyday behavior - more in some areas, less in others.

bill w

But if all that is true why does homosexuality exist and why do people make
condoms?

John K Clark     ​

I have seen evolutionary psychologists attribute homosexuality to the
advantages such people can provide a tribe.  Out of the mating game, which
is an advantage, the homosexual can contribute to the tribe in many ways,
such as helping his/her family like an old maid aunt or grandparent.
Whether it is a 'natural' thing or the result of genetics errors along the
way is not now known.  As Kinsey found out, it is certainly not an all or
nothing thing.  Freud argued that man was pansexual and socialization
narrowed the choices.  Any role for early conditioning is still unknown.
As we know, attempts to change the focus of the sex drive are useless.
Even Pavlov failed.
bill w

As for condoms, a man may not want to provide for the upbringing of a child
he may produce with certain women, and a woman may pressure a man to use
one because she doesn't want a baby - perhaps not at all or perhaps not
with this guy.  In the heat of passion it may be forgotten, which is a
victory for the genes.  Sexual diseases can play a role, of course.