[ExI] Trilemma of Consciousness

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 17:14:43 UTC 2017

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>

 > Maybe I missed something.  'Achieve' consciousness?  What does that
even mean?
 > In an AI, OK, got it.  In a person it makes utterly no sense.

Well, depending on whether you make a distinction between 'conscious'
and 'self-conscious' or not, I think it does make sense for a person. At
least it does for me. I distinctly remember becoming conscious of being
a conscious being.

The thought "Oh! I'm me!!" suddenly occurred to me at the age of about
10, and it was like a mental explosion, a real revelation. I don't know
if I could be described as being non-conscious before that moment, but I
was certainly different after it, and in my book I 'achieved
consciousness' in that moment.

It made a sufficient impression that I still clearly remember it decades
later.

Ben Zaiboc