[ExI] Trilemma of Consciousness

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun May 28 23:49:12 UTC 2017

Thanks for the physiology refresher.

    What characteristics do we have to find to determine whether a person
is conscious?

​Intelligent ​behavior of course, that's why I think somebody taking a
calculus exam is probably conscious but somebody sleeping or under
anesthesia
​ or
 dead probably is not.

 John K Clark

​ell me we are not going to have an infinite regress here.  Now we have to
define intelligent behavior.  My example of the tree communicating with
nearby trees was not tongue in cheek.  Doing something that may help your
species survive has to be intelligent behavior, no?  I can even see this as
altruistic since the tree gets nothing in return (signals from other trees
would do, but does the tree know that?)

Do we just hook up auditory, visual, olfactory etc. sensors and call what
the Ai gets through those sensations?  Why not.  Then we program it to
react in certain ways to certain stimuli and call those emotions, though
since each human is unique we will have to choose the reactions from a list
of possibles.  The AI might be programmed to love the Stooges but not Mark
Twain, for example.  Is this what is envisioned?  Will we program the AI to
share its experiences with other Ais?  Stimulus and response generalization
also will have to be programmed.

bill w​