[ExI] nobel prize

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 00:37:34 UTC 2017

On Oct 9, 2017, at 4:27 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well now, maybe there's a small discussion here after all.  Just what does happen in the Nobel Prize committee when a person's expertise is in biochemistry?  Or physical chemistry?  Or any other borderline science - that is bridging the gap between two sciences.  As for sociology and social psychology, the usual gap is that the former studies people in groups and the latter in individuals, though that is not a clean break.
>
> Are there movements to add prizes?  Say, behavioral biology, which is neither medicine nor physiology.

In some sense, the division of prizes and of areas of research is a historical accident, no? That these divisions persist I believe has more to do with pedagogical interests or maybe just the interests of those in these areas (which isn't to bash them; those working often seem to find it fruitful to tightly couple their pursuits) than with how reality is divided. Of course, the persistence of a division might mean someone is cutting along the joints. We'll see, I hope.

Isn't behavioral biology also called ethology?

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my latest Kindle book "Sand Trap":
http://mybook.to/SandTrap