[ExI] scieceblind

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 15:49:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2017 7:45 PM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> I also thought about something not in the book:  why does a helium balloon
> rise?  Don't tell l me it's lighter.  My cat is lighter than I am and he is
> not flying around.  The gas inside the balloon must be exerting pressure in
> every direction, so the force cannot be from there.  Where is the force
> here??
>

> Do you not know this or are you cleverly feigning to test the list for
> science blindness?

Ah, if only I were that clever.  Even if I were, I'd not pull that on
y'all.  I just do not understand buoyancy.  Another example from the book
has a table pushing upwards against a book lying on it.  Don't get that
either.  Don't see where the force is coming from.

Lighter things rise.  I get that.  I just don't see why.

bill w​