[ExI] tech question

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 01:18:28 UTC 2017

On Oct 28, 2017, at 5:12 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​About 60 years ago. VW invaded and showed that American car makers needed to wake up.
>
> Since then, Honda has shown Briggs and Statton how to make a lawnmower engine be​tter.
>
> Look at the Consumer Reports evaluation of used cars and trucks:  Japanese and the occasional Korean vehicles are at the top of every list.  (Better than the Germans, note.)
>
> We lead the world in Nobel prizes every time, it seems, so why can't we compete with the foreigners in engine design?  Billions of our dollars are going overseas because of this, leading to typical negative balance of trade figures.  Not the only source, of course.
>
> What gives?  It can't be just intelligence and creativity, can it?

I’m unsure why things need to be made here? What’s wrong with trading with others? Wouldn’t it be less intelligent, less creative to try to make everything within the arbitrary boundaries of some nation state?

If anything, the question should be there isn’t more trade, especially with cars. But the answer should be obvious: high trade barriers. In fact, if there were free trade here, my guess is many a bloated conglomerate, including those that make automobiles, would have to radically change or find a new line of business.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my latest Kindle book "Sand Trap":
http://mybook.to/SandTrap