[ExI] coffee

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 00:02:49 UTC 2017

Consumer Reports did ratings of coffee beans.  Ethiopian took all 18 places
- most Yirgacheffe, my favorite.  From $10 to nearly $30 a pound.

Get a Presto popcorn maker, take the top off and leave it off, put in
exactly 2/3 c of unroasted beans (averaging about $7 a pound for
Yirgacheffe or any of the other Ethiopian coffees I buy from
SweetMarias.com), get a stirring stick about three feet long, and turn it
on.  Stir until you unplug it.  Less than five minutes later you will be
done.  Decant the beans to a single layer and let dry - no need for any
complicated coffee machine settings to accomplish this.

The beans need about three hours after roasting for some chemical reactions
to take place.  Less than 2/3 cup and the beans will jump out of the
roaster.  More I have not tried.  I drink three cups a day and have to
roast maybe once a week or so.

You can also buy decaf beans unroasted and mix them with the regular ones.
About 1/3 of my roast is decaf.

I have not estimated the cost per cup or pound, but of course it is far,
far cheaper and you can experiment with different roasts levels, and with
dry versus wet processed beans.  It will leave odors if you do it inside,
but they are not objectionable.  If you roast to the French level it will
smoke, so take it outside.

I have bought coffee roasters costing hundreds of dollars and this is the
best method I have used.  And every one of them have broken or quit
somehow. I still have my first Presto - about four years now.

Tell me where else you can get cheaper coffee, or have so much control over
the roast.  I cannot imagine a person who does not have the ten minutes or
so a week to provide themselves with the best coffees at bargain basement
prices.

Then I grind them with an expensive burr machine to a coarse texture and
use my Thermos French press to brew them - four minutes.  Other French
presses, usually glass, won't keep the coffee hot.  It makes about three
cups.  Some people use a cheap grinder with blades and say they can't tell
the difference.

Bill W/Dad/etc.