[ExI] theme parties must go retro, waaaaay retro

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Sep 1 04:28:09 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 6:39 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] theme parties must go retro, waaaaay retro

On Aug 30, 2017 8:41 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

Hear that Universities?  No cave-person parties, none!

>…Can we appropriate themes from fiction?

NO!  That would be blatant discrimination against Illiterate-Americans, a disrespectful expression of Lexile-privilege.  Out with it.

>…I know cosplay is growing but at the same time franchises worry about fan fiction diluting the brand…

This would be a violation of the sacred American value of meme-ownership.  Out it goes.

>…Victorian-era steampunk parties…

I have Victorian era ancestors, Episcopalians all the way back.  I would be so offended.  Out.

>… alternate future as predicted in the 1950's…

Too late, that future is already happening.  Reference Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty Four.  Read it and weep.

>…- do refrain from any "World of Tomorrow" references unless you want reanimated cyborg Walt Disney attacking you with lawyers. :)

I hear Max has Disney down there at Alcor.