[ExI] emotions

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:40:32 UTC 2018

I got BillW’s first post and second one six minutes apart.  I was puzzled
on why he commented that no one responded to his first post.

spike
Well, that solves the mystery.  How on earth did Gmail take so long to
deliver my messages?  Never happened to me before - you?

I read where some AI people are trying to develop a separate module for
emotions.  My question is:  just how are they going to do that since we
don't understand much at all about human emotions?  We know quite a lot
about the anatomy and physiology of emotions, but not the psychology - just
how do emotions influence attitudes and behaviors?  (technical note:  an
attitude has three components - behavioral, intellectual, and emotional -
if the emotional part is missing it's an opinion).  We have tons of work to
do, lasting, I am sure, for decades, before we say definitive things about
human emotions.

I really despaired when I got no responses.  I have been trying since I
joined to get some discussions going, and mostly have failed miserably.
Nothing ongoing.  I do understand that a lot of things went on before I
joined, but have those opinions cemented into stone tablets?  Surely we all
modify our opinions as time and experience goes on, so what's wrong with
starting a new discussion on an old topic?

One that comes to my mind:  just what will the post-human be like?
Anatomy, physiology, psychology?  I got very little from y'all when I first
asked that question, which was my first one.

bill w