[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 179, Issue 2

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Aug 5 15:19:41 UTC 2018

On 04/08/2018 17:38, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
> We sadly need religion taught in schools, despite the biases and evils
> that can occur.

It has been amazing to me the number of people who ask how atheists can
have any kind of morality outside of religion, and even assuming that we
don't!
We sadly need religion taught in schools, despite the biases and evils
that can occur.

We badly need education /about/ religion, that I'd agree wholeheartedly.

Sadly, 'religious education' seems to always consist in religious
indoctrination, and is biased towards the particular religion that holds
sway where the students happen to live.  Even when the RE includes other
religions, it still takes a superstitious, supernatural worldview as the
norm, and doesn't actually investigate what religions actually are, how
they arise, and why.

I think the best counter to the morality question is to direct them back
to their own holy books, and ask why, for instance, they don't own
slaves, beat their wives, work on Sunday, avoid wearing mixed fabrics
etc., etc. (best not ask these kind of questions of islamic
fundamentalists, though!).

--
Ben Zaiboc