[ExI] it's the yoga! was: RE: The Doomsday Clock

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 19:11:03 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:35 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

Well, when I am wrong, in this case merely very ignorant, I try to get on
> the right side of the evidence.  And since a relatively new philosophy of
> mine says that I should thank those who correct me, thanks!

Glad to help and you're quite welcome. I've been on the wrong side enough
times that I've learned stay open-minded.

Now we are in my area.  I have found it very, very hard to change a
> person.  Their emotions are supporting their behavior and those are
> difficult to deal with.  Now you want to change human nature.  I think you
> will have to wait on genetic engineering for that.  I am a total cynic
> about getting people to do good, avoid bad, however those are defined.

I don't know if it's even theoretically possible, but it seems like a
problem worth pondering.

Although I am not religious, I truly wish that religion could solve some of
> these problems, but studies show that nonreligious people are just as moral
> as those who are religious.

Yeah, and a lot of truly horrible things have been justified by religion,
and still are. I don't think we'll make progress on improving human
behavior until we soundly reject irrational belief systems.

-Dave