[ExI] quote on thinking

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 01:01:23 UTC 2018

I find for myself that my first thought is never my best thought. My first
thought is always someone else's; it's always what I've already heard about
the subject, always the conventional wisdom.

Here's what William Deresiewicz says does work:

It's only by concentrating, sticking to the question, being patient,
letting all the parts of my mind come into play, that I arrive at an
original idea. By giving my brain a chance to make associations, draw
connections, take me by surprise. And often even that idea doesn't turn out
to be very good. I need time to think about it, too, to make mistakes and
recognize them, to make false starts and correct them, to outlast my
impulses, to defeat my desire to declare the job done and move on to the
next thing

bill w