[ExI] former exi poster is smiling

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:12:56 UTC 2018

I would add to this discussion, since it was raised by John, we certainly
do NOT know that Assange got his info from Russia.  Nothing has been
provided to the US public beyond a shell document that lists no actual
evidence of Russian hacking.  It may be in classified hands, but nothing of
substance has been shared with the public.

In addition, and more relevant to the allegation that he got them from the
Russians, a former NSA official believes there is evidence of an inside job
at the DNC which was published in a liberal publication, The Nation.  I
would strongly suggest reading the entire article before blaming the DNC
hack on a Russian bugaboo.  The data was transferred too quickly for it to
have been remotely.  This is a matter of public record:

Forensicator’s first decisive findings, made public in the paper dated July
9, concerned the volume of the supposedly hacked material and what is
called the transfer rate—the time a remote hack would require. The metadata
established several facts in this regard with granular precision: On the
evening of July 5, 2016, 1,976 megabytes of data were downloaded from the
DNC’s server. The operation took 87 seconds. This yields a transfer rate of
22.7 megabytes per second.

These statistics are matters of record and essential to disproving the hack
theory. No Internet service provider, such as a hacker would have had to
use in mid-2016, was capable of downloading data at this speed. Compounding
this contradiction, Guccifer claimed to have run his hack from Romania,
which, for numerous reasons technically called delivery overheads, would
slow down the speed of a hack even further from maximum achievable speeds.

What is the maximum achievable speed? Forensicator recently ran a test
download of a comparable data volume (and using a server speed not
available in 2016) 40 miles from his computer via a server 20 miles away
and came up with a speed of 11.8 megabytes per second—half what the DNC
operation would need were it a hack. Other investigators have built on this
finding. Folden and Edward Loomis say a survey published August 3, 2016, by
www.speedtest.net/reports is highly reliable and use it as their thumbnail
index. It indicated that the highest average ISP speeds of first-half 2016
were achieved by Xfinity and Cox Communications. These speeds averaged 15.6
megabytes per second and 14.7 megabytes per second, respectively. Peak
speeds at higher rates were recorded intermittently but still did not reach
the required 22.7 megabytes per second.

“A speed of 22.7 megabytes is simply unobtainable, especially if we are
talking about a transoceanic data transfer,” Folden said. “Based on the
data we now have, what we’ve been calling a hack is impossible.” Last week
Forensicator reported on a speed test he conducted more recently. It
tightens the case considerably. “Transfer rates of 23 MB/s (Mega Bytes per
second) are not just highly unlikely, but effectively impossible to
accomplish when communicating over the Internet at any significant
distance,” he wrote. “Further, local copy speeds are measured,
demonstrating that 23 MB/s is a typical transfer rate when using a USB–2
flash device (thumb drive).”

Time stamps in the metadata provide further evidence of what happened on
July 5. The stamps recording the download indicate that it occurred in the
Eastern Daylight Time Zone at approximately 6:45 pm. This confirms that the
person entering the DNC system was working somewhere on the East Coast of
the United States. In theory the operation could have been conducted from
Bangor or Miami or anywhere in between—but not Russia, Romania, or anywhere
else outside the EDT zone. Combined with Forensicator’s findings on the
transfer rate, the time stamps constitute more evidence that the download
was conducted locally, since delivery overheads—conversion of data into
packets, addressing, sequencing times, error checks, and the like—degrade
all data transfers conducted via the Internet, more or less according to
the distance involved

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-new-report-raises-big-questions-about-last-years-dnc-hack/