[ExI] "Dumbing Us Down" by John Taylor Gatto

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jul 9 13:51:04 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR
Ballard
Subject: [ExI] "Dumbing Us Down" by John Taylor Gatto

>...Perhaps somewhat tangential to many of the things currently discussed on
the list, but has anyone ready the book "Dumbing Us Down" by John Taylor
Gatto?

>...An overly abbreviated premise of the book is that compulsory K-12
education basically removes humanity from people, destroys the family, and
obliterates all meaningful community...

Into the bit-bucket with it.

Public education certainly has its shortcomings, but the modern message is
more subtle and urgent.  We have long been hearing of an achievement gap in
students.  Rather than the usual scenario many think of with the gap being
between socio-economic classes, we are facing the formation of the biggest
achievement gap in all of modern history, this being between those who
effectively use the free online materials and those who do not.  The public
schools are not yet on board with this notion.