[ExI] The tools humanity will need for living in the year 1 trillion

Spike Jones spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jul 15 19:20:10 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:17 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] The tools humanity will need for living in the year 1 trillion

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com <mailto:atymes at gmail.com> > wrote:

> >  Why couldn’t the same argument also be used to show you could get work out of the expansion of the universe?

> Static friction,

That was just one example, it you don't like friction then tie one end of a VERY long string to a bowling ball and the other to a bar magnet inside a solenoid…

…

The string and the solenoid expand, so the expansion of space in that thought experiment does not pull the magnet.

…>> Expansion of the universe seems likely to remain substantially weaker than most detectable gravitational waves.

>…Not if the acceleration is accelerating, if it is we're heading for The Big Rip and that will be very detectable indeed, even atoms will be ripped apart and soon after that protons and neutrons.

John K Clark

This one is more compelling because we tend to think of protons and neutrons being pulled apart as requiring energy, but even that isn’t clear to me if it happened because space expanded them apart.