[ExI] I wish this was fake news

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 00:07:11 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM, William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guess who is in charge of party politics in the states?  Dems and Repubs,
> who want vast number of signatures for a third party.
>
> What we need is someone to come out of nowhere, like Obama did, but be
> independent, like Wallace and Perot (was Perot ind.?).

No, we do not need someone.

We need a lot of someones.

The chances of a non-Democrat & non-Republican president winning go up
dramatically if many members of Congress and state governors are
obviously affiliated with said candidate.  Further, even if an
independent president were elected, you need an ideologically aligned
Congress to get stuff done - as Trump has shown, for better and for
worse (notice where Trump has had success, and where Trump's wishes
have been denied by Congress).  Obama demonstrated this too.

Now, these Congresspeople and governors may themselves be Democrat or
Republican.  (Although, for the kind of president we're promoting, few
if any Republicans would be willing to buck their party and support
someone who, for example, insists on truth and sound logic on issues
like immigration and unemployment, rather than just claiming
immigrants are the "they" we must unite against, and claiming that
people who intend to hurt American coal and steel - rather than
automation and reduced demand - are responsible for the loss of coal
and steel jobs.  TBH, the Democrats could do worse than promoting a
party of responsible investors as their competition, and with them
squeeze the Republicans into irrelevance.  Even those who lost their
seats would still win, by being in an America that supports them and
their values better.)