[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:29:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:00 PM Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>
wrote:

*> If a site is treated as holy for such a long time it can have profound
> effects on the human mind*

I agree the effects can be profound, but not in a positive way.

> > as a mental/cultural reservoir.

A huge reservoir of superstition and nonsense yes.

> > *Similar to the way any object is used to impart cultural knowledge
> which survives the individual human (such as a tool or record-keeping
> instrument)*

The Thirty Meter Telescope is a tool and I think it will will enrich our
cultural knowledge  far more than than worshiping some silly God that a
tiny minority of jackasses think lives on top of that mountain. And I have
to say, if constructing that telescope will kill that God He's a pretty
third rate God. Why is such a delicate weak being worthy of worship?

> > *A temple is a structure used to impart cultural knowledge in the form
> of reverence for the concepts of humility, dedication, curiosity, courage*

I agree places of worship can impart courage, it took a lot of courage to
fly airliners into skyscrapers, but I can see no evidence it can add to
those other virtues you mentioned, especially curiosity. If they had an
ounce of curiosity in there soul they would consider it a great honor that
such a magnificent instrument was going to be built on top of the mountain
that they love.

 John K Clark