[ExI] Science or Science

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Mon Nov 12 18:06:06 UTC 2018

BillW wrote:

> Maybe it's just too early in the day for me to 'get it'.  What with my
> heat tolerance being so low, I did not try to get close enough to the
> subject to perform the test, so I have to say it's untestable.  Since it
> is doing what it designed to do perfectly, then I have to say, given its
> very limited behavior range, it's like a person with an IQ of 25 who can
> bag groceries very adequately.  Perhaps that person has Down's Syndrome.
> They have a reputation for having a sunny personality.
> So what should I be getting out of this?

You had earlier wrote:
"Consciousness is a physical reality with which you can do experiments
with testable hypotheses."

I wanted to see how you tried to distinguish signs of
intelligence/consciousness in something very much larger than you were. In
something so very different than a human being, what constitutes
intelligent behavior and what constitutes merely complex behavior might be
hard to distinguish.

Xenopsychology is likely to become a real thing as AI progresses.

I think your assessment of the sun's IQ to be about 25 to be well-reasoned
psychological opinion.

Plus the video was just plain cool. How often do you get to look at the
sun from that distance with eyes that can see UV light?

Thanks for humoring my bizarre request. :-)

Stuart LaForge