[ExI] Science or Scientism?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Nov 13 21:41:56 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] Science or Scientism?

 For example, my mother suffered from catatonic depression for about a year after losing one of her jobs.

>…That reminds me of one of the uglier aspects of working in a mental hospital - harassment by the staff…

I also saw a guy punched.  All of the above happened when I was just an aide…bill w

BillW, I worked as a temporary fill-in aide at an Alzheimer’s facility during my tragically misspent youth.  We had a patient who was 92, but he was still a big guy and clearly a powerful man when he was younger; still very scary.  He had been in a German POW camp in WW1, and often thought he was still there.  This made the nurses and aides into the prison guards from his point of view, so he was bad to try to sneak up and wallop somebody, hoping to escape.

They would put teenage boys in the night shift, which was the worst (oy vey (but we were making 5 bucks an hour!))  They knew if he whopped one of us, we would just quietly go home and suffer on our own time, rather than admit we got our ass kicked by a 92 yr old guy.  {8^D

They gave him massive doses of methaqualone, which functionally anesthetized away his last few years.  Since then I have persistently thought we can use our technology to make those last few years more worthwhile than they are currently, perhaps obviating a lot of stuff like the Quaaludes, some kind of immersive reality or something.