[ExI] Science or Scientism?

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:53:34 UTC 2018

Abuse by staff in centers is so, so common. I have been verbally harassed and threatened by staff, threatened with restraints, and with heavy drugs. And I’ve also been threatened with police action and forced into “high security” wards before. For honestly, not doing very much. For example, saying the word “hell” or because of a stigma attached to my diagnosis.

I’ve seen people given shots and five-point restraints and all of that. And it’s definitely shocking, disturbing stuff.

To a certain extent I blame them, and to an extent I don’t. I understand why a culture of abuse nearly always grows in places like that, not that I condone it. It’s a similar reason to why guards brutalize inmates— it’s a natural outgrowth of how the institution is set up. For example Japanese prisons rarely have any of the kind of violence that American ones do. But that’s because they are managed in a completely different way to American prisons.

I think it wouldn’t be so much of a problem if people just understood what’s expected of them (as a patient) in psych. When they get in, they’re not in a place where they really can learn.

And different setups really do matter. Like the difference between psych at a county facility versus private hospital is nearly indescribable. The private psych was honestly quite helpful. County psych is honestly very dangerous at times.

SR Ballard