[ExI] Are we getting too blase here on the list, about scientific and technological progress?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Oct 12 13:45:58 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Adrian Tymes

Subject: Re: [ExI] Are we getting too blase here on the list, about
scientific and technological progress?

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> What advances do you think it will take, to reinvigorate this list and our
sense of wonder?

As pointed out in another post, a way to turn off the political rants.

I find it difficult to motivate myself to post curiosity about the future
while dreading that any word could spur yet another wall of text about how
Trump is going to unleash nuclear war any day now, so we won't get to enjoy
any particular preferred future, so it's no use talking about it.

Ja.

I vow to do my part: I will refuse to respond to political rants, even
indirectly.

Practical approach: I will refuse to respond to any post which names or
references any particular public figure (other than science or tech
weenies.)  The rest of them I don't care about.

Note that my perennial rant about the risk introduced by voting machines
would still be fair game, because those don't involve a particular party or
public figure.