[ExI] Public draft of my book 'Tales of the Turing Church

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:38:13 UTC 2018

 I can choose to save my money to buy a car in the future. Such a choice
has no cause because classic causation presumably follows the arrow of
time. Causes are in the past and effects are in the future. Not sure who
wrote that.
--------------------
Think of it this way:  are you comfortable with an idea causing a
behavior?  Of course.  That's practically self-evident.

What if the idea is to buy a car now but not using it until much later?  So
here is the cause effect sequence:

(1) idea/expectation of future utility causes/leads to (2) buying  the car
now.  Similarly, you get your hair cut today because of a date in three
days.  "Why did you get your hair cut?"  "I have a date in three days and I
want to look my best."

Cause = date?   No.  Cause equals anticipation of date.  What if the date
cancels?   Are you left with an effect with no cause?  Nope.  Cause still
idea.
 > The only definition of free will that I know of that isn't gibberish is
> the inability to always know for sure what you're going to do next until you actually do
it

But this would also be the case if there were no free will.  So the
inability does not help us distinguish between free will and none.  bill w

bill w

No contradiction or reversal of cause and effect - cause now effects
closely follows.  Simple.