[ExI] What would you do if you won the billion dollar plus MegaMillions Lottery, and are lotteries a bad thing?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:36:11 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 9:25 AM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Lotteries are a way for legislators to avoid raising taxes, and it mostly
> impacts the poor - just the reverse of progressive taxation that I prefer.

I'm OK with lotteries since they're completely voluntary. I'd prefer to
lower taxes, preferably to zero, but neither major party nor the public is
committed to cutting spending even a little. But tax cuts? Sure, bring 'em
on!

I don't know how I would spend even one million dollars.  Two  people in a
> giant mansion with servants everywhere?  Limousines?  Nah.  So I would hire
> people to investigate charities and give most of it away.

I'd ensure that my family was taken care of first--not to the level of
opulence, but to the point of not having to worry about
food/clothing/shelter/medical/etc. After that I'd use it advocating for
changes I'd like to see.

In Mississippi we have a new lottery.  The money goes to roads and bridges,
> which the legislators have allowed to fall into severe disrepair.  Better
> than nothing, I reckon.

In Tennessee it goes to education. I've gotten a lot more back from grants
to my children then I'll ever pay in lottery tickets.

-Dave