[ExI] Maximum Jailbreak, and the legacy of Stephen Hawking Message-ID:

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:13:04 UTC 2018

adrian wrote:  This requires quite a bit of mass, but moving quite a bit of
mass through a zero-g environment is far simpler than many other
things we discuss
on this list.  We're talking "large asteroid" range, far smaller than even
the Moon, so this could be done with today's technology (though it would
cost in the millions or billions of dollars).
So the scifi stories I read will come true:  we will move asteroids into
Earth orbit, and create large tunnels to live in, providing radiation
protection, and then tow asteroids which are full of water to supply the
colony (like one of Asimov's stories where they got a water asteroid (if
that's what you call it) from the rings of Saturn).  I suppose metals and
even oil could also be supplied by asteroids.  I doubt the 'oil' part, but
what do I know?

Good stuff!  bill w