[ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 12:36:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 5:14 AM Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com>
wrote:

*> What can be even cooler than the accretion disk around a black hole? *

> *No accretion disk around a black hole. Instead some stars behind that
> black hole. Their images pretty much gravity lensed by the black hole.
> That's why I insist on to see Sagittarius.*

Why is that important? Plenty of things can cause detectable gravitational
lensing, even our own sun can do it, but as far as we know the only thing
that can cause a large star moving at 4800 miles a second make a super
tight hairpin turn around a point that emits no light is a 4 million solar
mass Black Hole. And we've been observing that for years.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05825-3

 John K Clark