[ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 17:25:38 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:12 AM Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

>* I think that electromagnetic vacuum energy does cancel out to
> exactly zero, except as Casimir effects due to *very* local geometry*

The electromagnetic field is not the only problem, when we try to calculate
the vacuum energy density cause by the Higgs field alone it comes out to
10^46 Joules per cubic meter if we assume spacetime is not continuous which
we must to avoid getting infinity. If you sum up all the vibrational modes
of all known fields using our best methods we calculate a value of
10^113 joules
per cubic meter, however the observed value for the vacuum energy is
10^-10 joules per cubic meter. So theory disagrees with observation by a
factor of 10^123 assuming spacetime is discrete (which there is no
evidence of) and it disagrees by infinity if spacetime is continuous.
Science has never made a worse prediction.

> *Whatever these quantum gravitational harmonic oscillators are, they  are
> not bosons therefore they are probably not gravitons. Could they  be CDM
> particles then? Could CDM particles be fermions? If so, they  seem like a
> good candidate for quantum gravitational harmonic  *

That sounds a little like Supersymmetry theory. The idea was that for every
fermion we know of there is a corresponding Boson we haven't found yet and
for every boson we know of there is a corresponding fermion we haven't
found yet. It that was true the vacuum energies should all cancel out and
sum up to exactly zero. But the LHC surprised everybody by not showing us
even the hint of a Supersymmetric particle, and now we don't want
everything to cancel out, we want everything to cancel out EXCEPT for one
part in 10^123. Nobody has a clue how to do that.

John K Clark