[ExI] Consequentialism

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 22:29:10 UTC 2019

I don't sympathize with the native Hawaiians, but I can empathize with
them. Without a lengthy explanation, there is a subtle difference
between the two, and to me sympathy is a passive, undisciplined, form
of empathy. While empathy is something like the Lorentz transformation
of moral relativism, a skill someone can develop to get into another's
head. stuart

I am not arguing with your definitions-  they are yours and you can use
them as you want.  I do, however, respectfully suggest the following:  to
keep in tune (pun intended) with the traditional meaning of sympathy,
I recall one of the forbearers of the modern cello, which was built with
extra strings
which vibrated in sympathy when certain other notes were bowed or plucked.
  They were not themselves bowed or plucked.  Hence I think that sympathy
is
when we literally feel the same thing as another person, a gross example of
which is seeing
someone vomit, get nauseous ourselves, and spew forth.  Crying from
sadness.  Exulting with victory of
your team as they act victorious.

Then empathy is understanding what someone else is feeling but not feeling
that ourselves.  Pity may be
when the sadness of someone else is viewed as unjust.

The modern literature in psych tends to have these backwards, as I have
explained to numerous
psychologists I have written.
bill w

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 5:14 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <