[ExI] I see pitchforks.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 06:36:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:20 PM Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One would wonder how there are rich folks anywhere else. Do you believe
> only US citizens have access to capital and markets — even markets and
> capital in the US?

US citizens have easier access - and there are indeed some markets (such as
certain US-defense-related ones) that only US citizens, or those the US
government grants access to, have access to.

That's the main reason all those "but the rich will flee to elsewhere"
> arguments against any tax hike fall flat: even with the proposed extra
> measures, the rich can make more money here than anywhere else, and they
> know it.  Their greed is what keeps them here.
>

> I don’t doubt that pecuniary motives play some role, but why is it then
> that the US has an expatriation taxes that continue years after someone has
> renounced their citizenship? Isn’t that to make it much much more unlikely
> to flee over higher taxes?

Sure, that helps too.  This isn't a simple one-answer situation.