[ExI] The Yamnaya question

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 18 18:48:55 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki

### I am an amateur in population genetics, my actual work was in mitochondrial genetics and Parkinson's disease, so I would be poorly equipped to work on substantiating the hypothesis….While the idea that increased mobility in a population may trigger changes in fitness related to improved mating distance occurred to me independently, I would be surprised if nobody else among population geneticists ever thought about it before…Rafal

Rafal, the problem with that notion is in determining the criteria for fitness.  From the POV of evolution (pretending evolution has a POV) the fittest individuals might be the poverty-stricken inner city mother of a dozen half siblings and the fathers of those many offspring.