[ExI] what the hell was i thinking?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 18:22:29 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You’re confusing a view (libertarianism)?with whether it’s been totally put into practice (a fully libertarian community). If you want to make the argument that since no one lives that way, it’s impossible or at least wildly improbable, then that’s another discussion. (Of course, to me, it would be like you arguing in 1800 that there’s no society where men don’t rule women. Ergo, anyone calling for women to not be ruled by men is a whacky utopian.)

How about that people have tried to live that way, and in every case
(where they lasted long enough to matter) they got conquered, because
the power necessary to fend off conquerors (and thus, force their
desires - that they not be conquered - upon those who wish to conquer
them) is the same power they refused to allow anyone in their society
to have?

By contrast, in 1800, there had been successful and relevant societies
in the past where men did not rule women, where the ending was not due
to that trait.  It was not inherently demonstrated as impossible, even
if there happened to be no known extant examples at that time.