[ExI] privacy

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 13:18:54 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:25 PM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I understand that I will get ads on Google, on web sites, on my computer
> and in email, though I did not give my email address to Aquasana.  What I
> don't get is how the newspaper got the info that I was on Amazon and the
> Aquasana web site.  They have not responded to my inquiry, nor has
> Aquasana.  Aquasana will get punished if they don't respond by my buying
> another product and letting them know that.

If you Googled "aquasana", then the newspaper could have advertised through
Google. Aquasana pays Google to promote their brand and Google pays the
newspaper to display the ad. If you shopped for Aquasana on Amazon, then
the newspaper is probably running ads for Amazon. If you neither Googled it
nor shopped for it on Amazon, then Aquasana probably made arrangements with
another marketer. If you use Facebook on your phone they probably know
everything you've ever done on it.

BTW, if this kind of targeted marketing bothers you or you just don't want
Google to know that much about you, try switching your default search
engine to DuckDuckGo. I find that it works very well.

-Dave