[ExI] fermi question alive and well

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 17:46:27 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 13:14 John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> > the incredible hubris required to look at some squiggles from
>> telescopes to decide the fate of the universe.
>>

> Yes, but you almost make that sound like a bad thing.

It's only bad if you mind being put in the same boat at those who were so
confident that God created the universe centered around Earth with the sun
revolving around us.

I mean, it's not like they didn't have evidence, right?  If you use your
eyes, watching the sun rise and set, it's pretty obvious that it revolves
around the Earth.

Honestly though, do you not see the parallels?  Do you think the current
mode of understanding is the be-all, end-all?

Nothing left to figure out?  What about what consciousness is and how it
fits into physics?  Or what the universe is, why it's expanding, or why
there appears to be so much more matter that we can see?  Does none of that
warrant an explanation?

Hearing you talk, it's as if you think there's no more truth to be figured
out.  And that there is why hubris might be bad.  When we figure more out,
you'll surely look silly for acting as if you know anything more than a
drop.