[ExI] Autophagy and Aging

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat May 4 18:21:02 UTC 2019

John Clark wrote:

>> I have been experimenting on myself by eating every other day
>> both to both lose weight and to induce autophagy and I can't help but
>> notice beneficial effects. My mood is improved, I feel sharper and
>> more energetic with a general sense of well-being.
>
> For whatever it's worth I noticed something like that myself, so
> over 40 years ago I got into the habit of only eating once a day. It
> seems to be working, I'm not dead yet and still feel pretty good.

Do you completely abstain from ANY net carbs and proteins the whole
time between meals including snacks and beverages? The point is to
avoid any insulin release for the whole fasting period so as to
produce as much glucagon as possible and promote gluconeogenesis and
autophagy. Both digestible carbohydrates and proteins trigger insulin
production, which inhibits glucagon, and the amino acid leucine is a
powerful inhibitor of autophagy. Therefore, I try to avoid even
gelatin capsules since gelatin is made from collagen which is a
protein. Pure fat and pure fiber are the only two kinds of food that
one can eat during the fast period.

If you tried it, you might notice further improvements.

Although I do sometimes take pure psyllium husks (not metamucil which
has sugar and other additives) to stay regular and to avoid diarrhea
from eating pure fat. Psyllium husks do contain about 200 milligrams
of protein per tablespoon so I try not to use too much.

For those of you who want to try to implement some variant of my
experimental Life Extending Autophagic Diet, please consider your
attempt as an experiment or open source beta test as well and share
your experiences to the list like I am doing.

Stuart LaForge