[ExI] Just some thoughts, nothing new really

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon May 13 17:51:48 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 9:52 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> We have all the automation necessary to automate most harvesting now,
> including that which is currently done by hand picking.  One must wonder
> what happens when it becomes economically viable to get harvest bots.

I recall a political comic about a white American laborer, who keeps
blaming immigrants for taking his jobs when automation is what drove him
out.  It ends with him being an Uber driver and reading an article about
self-driving cars, not making the connection to the limits of his job
security.

That said, this may reduce the seasonal migrant workers going back and
forth across the border, encouraging instead the kind of labor that sticks
around throughout the year.