[ExI] Mathematics Risque tale :)

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 22:33:18 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 1:43 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I could follow along with everything leading up to the rape itself,
> I found the rape itself to branch into abstract, impenetrable metaphor - as
> most attempts at metaphorical description of rape tend to.  Even in certain
> older days, describing the deed itself was vulgar, its details poorly
> alluded to.  (Widespread misconceptions about the process and what happens
> during it, especially from a female point of view, may have contributed: a
> writer can have a hard time making metaphor to what the writer does not
> have a clear understanding of.  As others have put it, "most people have
> had nowhere near as much sex as most people imagine that most people do.")
>
> For this *and* for the reason of modern sensibilities, I believe it would
> have worked better had the actual rape not happened - if, for instance, the
> protagonist beat off the would-be rapist and escaped with her (apparent)
> virginity intact.

To give a specific example, might the following have improved the tale (by
removing the rape and keeping the metaphors parsable)?

---

Wishing to preserve her disunion with him, she engaged a few swift
vectors.  His perpendicular became parallel, and then a null set, being
entirely subtracted from him.  As he reached asymptotic pain, she took a
step function away, then another, staring at the concave shapes and acute
angles he was folding himself into, but soon increased her distance over
time away from him.