[ExI] and women

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:26:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Very, very often jokes are about fear.  Some whites don't like blacks and
> are afraid of them in many ways, so they make up demeaning names for them
> and tell degrading jokes.
>
> Men are often afraid of beautiful women, so they make up jokes about dumb
> blondes.
>
> People are afraid of death so they make up jokes about St Peter and the
> gate, etc.
>
> If you are afraid of something and want to make up jokes about it, like
> whistling through the graveyard, I can't stop you, but it tells me
> something about you when you demean others.
>
> Horrible experiences like rape are something to make fun of?  Are you
> serious?  I cannot think of anything more demeaning to women.
>
> bill w

I agree, Bill.  I doubt anyone who has been raped would post such a joke.
Particularly a laborious euphemistic description of someone being raped out
of their virginity.  I'm all for free speech, but who could read that and
not be sickened?

My opinion slightly differs from yours in that I think there are probably
funny jokes on all topics.  After all, we make jokes about cancer, murder,
etc.  So I don't deny the possible existence of a rape joke that is funny.
For example, I made this video with my best friend, and she has been a
victim of such: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvkerKPFLu2/ .  I think that
video is funny.  But the joke posted to the list didn't have a lot of
humor, rather just a drawn out description of rape.  Just a strange thing
to be amused by.