[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 20 14:18:16 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR Ballard via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

>>…But I don't want to see 'elite' become a dirty word.  bill w

>…Unfortunately, it already is, and has been as long as I’ve been able to understand that type of nuance.

>…Elite is used in mainly two contexts “the elite” which is an extremely loaded, negative statement, or a self-aggrandizing one, and “an elite ____”, where the blank is usually a martial reference, such as “fighting force”, “sniper”, “martial artist”. Only occasionally would it refer to other things in a matter-of-fact, non-judgemental way.

There is an important subtlety at play: the term elite is often viewed with suspicion unless it refers to athletes.  In the world of sports, the elite athletes are celebrated, paid outrageous sums of money, offered huge salaries for saying nice things about a product, etc.  We love our celebrated athletes.

Elite scholars?   Hmmm… a bit problematic.  Should not all students be elite?  (ehhh no.)  Is it fair that some students are better than others?  (Ja.)  Why should we allow academic excellence and superior achievement?  (Allow?)

My experience has been positive in turned academics into a sport.  I am a volunteer coach for American Math Competition and Science Olympiad.  We are trying to organize a Codeo team (programming competition.)  For some odd reason, academic super-achievement is OK so long as it is an actual sport.

Granted of course: as team sports go, the academic sports carry the lowest status and the funding for it is carried by the parents.  But, it is allowed to exist, and academic elites are grudgingly recognized.

I claim progress.  I competed in American Math Competition when I was a senior in high school.  Our newly-formed team won the county championship.  We had a blast.  But our school never acknowledged it, never (as far as I know) even knew that we had won that.  Now, both AMC and Science Olympiad are at least recognized sports.  When our team won a medal last year they mentioned our academic elites over the intercom.  That’s progress.

Elite academics are nowhere near being offered sponsorships.