[ExI] Fwd: year round school

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Dec 11 16:41:46 UTC 2020

Woohoo!  Good for you Henry, well done.

The local board switched to 0830 start times at the HS (it was 0745 before.)  The move has been popular with the HS crowd and their parents.  This year of course they can get outta bed at 0827 and make it to class on time.  In some ways this was ideal that the switch should happen this year because we don’t have after school sports or band practice.  One of the sticking points was that about this time of year, the students doing after-school activities would be riding bicycles home in the dark.  Eh, perhaps so, but that has an easy enough solution: have the teams and band cut it off at 530 pm.

I would argue further that later in December and January, the 0745 students were riding bicycles to school in the morning twilight, which is more dangerous than riding home at dusk (because traffic is more frantic that time of day (trying to get to the office on time.))

spike