[ExI] QuantumScape’s New Solid-State Battery Is Twice as Energy-Dense as Lithium-Ion

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 08:53:52 UTC 2020

"Claims of “revolutionary” new battery technologies
<https://singularityhub.com/2020/06/11/road-trip-new-record-crushing-battery-lasts-1-2-million-miles-in-electric-cars/>
are a dime a dozen these days, but none so far have come close to knocking
lithium-ion off its perch. Its balance of cost and energy density are hard
to beat, and with prices still dropping fast
<https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/12/battery-prices-have-fallen-88-percent-over-the-last-decade/>,
it’s the go-to technology for everything from smartphones to drones.

So when battery startup QuantumScape <https://www.quantumscape.com/>announced
in September
<https://themobilist.medium.com/vw-one-ups-tesla-with-a-revolutionary-battery-breakthrough-be51849ea092>
that
it had cracked the “Holy Grail” of battery technology—a solid-state lithium
metal battery—it didn’t generate much buzz.

Now, though, the company has released performance results—and people are
starting to pay attention.

The data shows the batteries can charge to 80 percent capacity in just 15
minutes, have nearly double the energy density of top commercial
lithium-ion cells, retain more than 80 percent of their capacity after 800
cycles, and don’t set on fire (something lithium-ion batteries have a habit
of doing).

“We believe that the performance data we’ve unveiled today shows that
solid-state batteries have the potential to narrow the gap between electric
vehicles and internal combustion vehicles and help enable electric vehicles
to become the world’s dominant form of transportation,” Jagdeep Singh,
founder & CEO of QuantumScape, said in a press release."
<https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201208005250/en/QuantumScape-Releases-Performance-Data-for-its-Solid-State-Battery-Technology>

Is this the big battery breakthrough we have all been waiting for so long
to happen?

https://singularityhub.com/2020/12/20/quantumscapes-new-solid-state-battery-is-twice-as-energy-dense-as-lithium-ion/