[ExI] very informative

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 04:48:06 UTC 2020

On Dec 28, 2020, at 7:09 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> [...]

Reread what I actually wrote. I didn’t say nationalism was those things, but that it’s used to justify them. In this regard, it’s one of the strongest means to get people to commit atrocities. (I know you’ll point out there are other means, but that’s beside the point. Do you agree it’s one of the strongest means?)

> If nationalism is not used for these other things, but rather only to determine who gets social security and medicare, then fair game.  I don't see the parallel between that and ethnic cleansing etc.

Easy. Once you start with the premise that those inside the nation are above those outside, the rest often does follow. This is how, for instance, you get the US government separating immigrant kids and then putting them in cages with cement floors with most folks not batting an eye or even worse blaming the immigrants for this.

Again, funny how folks who claim to be libertarians have no problem bowing to the entitlement programs argument to curtail freedom. Would you, again, be willing to curtain gun rights as long as there are medical entitlements? After all, people get injured by guns and then might use tax provided medical services. Well? Or dodge the question again. ;)

Regards,

Dan