[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jan 18 14:44:25 UTC 2020

Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> replied:
> ### I think you are on the right track in general but going in the
> wrong direction: Qualia are best understood as properties of conscious
> brains, rather than low- and mid-level local circuits. Pinpointing
> which precise part of a color rosetter in the visual cortex is
> necessary to trigger conscious perception of a specific hue doesn't
> tell you that much. Instead I think we will understand the problem
> better once we move up in our level of analysis, to the detailed
> workings of whole large-scale networks within the brain.
>
> Most likely the answer will be a nothingburger, a huge load of details
> and a dismissal of the question of "What are qualia, for real?",
> rather than something groundbreaking, mystery-busting and spiritually
> uplifting. It would be like our modern answer to "What is life?" -
> which is just a mass of details about genetics, metabolism, control
> theory and the like, rather than the discovery of the mystic "elan vital".
>
> But, who knows? Future neuroscience and AI research will maybe tell.
>
> Rafal

I expect you're right, and the whole brain, or at least large parts of
it, will be involved.

Even so, it's possible that we could identify a specific pattern in the
large-scale networks, and show that it's necessary and sufficient to
produce the sensation of the colour 'strawberry'. To be sure, that would
be a huge load of details, but it would also answer the question "what
is the strawberry-colour quale?", very precisely. And I wouldn't be at
all surprised if that answer was only valid for one specific individual.
In fact, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

I suspect a clear and precise answer like this still wouldn't satisfy
some people, though!

Another potential problem is that it might not just be specific to a
single individual, but also to a specific point in time (i.e. it changes
over time, because of related changes in the individuals brain due to
experience, learning, etc.)

In fact, thinking about it, this seems inevitable.

I still think, though, that the hypothesis 'qualia are patterns of
neural activation' can be shown to be falsifiable, given the appropriate
technology.

Ben Zaiboc