[ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 23:15:01 UTC 2020

Ja.  If we didn’t have prisons, we would be in one hell of a jam.
Regarding psychiatric institutions being dismantled, most people do not
know why that was done.  But we do: lack of customers  spike

Now Spike let's not run off without data.  In 1973 the feds sued Alabama
(and George Wallace): insufficient everything at the state psychiatric and
the state mentally retarded institutions.  (Some patients had been in there
for decades and had nothing on their charts - no treatment of any kind.
Lureen Wallace was governor because George could not run again.  She came
to Tuscaloosa, visited the institutions and gave a TV interview while
crying and vowed to go back to Montgomery and get more money.  Since George
was really running the state you can guess how far she got.)  Result, a lot
of money was needed and the state didn't have it or wouldn't give it.  Also
at that time there were theories coming out that said that immersing a
person in their own community was the answer, not putting them in large,
inadequate institutions.  So community mental health was started.  One
benefit was that many of the patients could stay at home and get drugs and
therapy on an outpatient basis.  I would say overall that it has not worked
as intended but it did get a lot of economic pressure off fed and state
govs.

Yes, (as someone said) there are many psychiatric patients in local jails
and in prisons.  There is no other place to put them.  They get little if
any care.  Some have died from lack of drugs, and some prisoners too who
did not get their diabetes medicine or the like).  The theory must be:
just keep them off the streets (at about $30K a year in the prisons, so
cost effectiveness is very poor here).  AGain, to emphasize what I said in
an earlier email, they have to be picked up and often no one will do that,
or come up with bail in the case of misdeaneanors and felonies by the
mental patients.  Side effect:  many criminals have to be let out on
minimal bail because there is not room for them, even after putting many of
them together - like 4 men to a 2 person cell.  In 1973 Partlow, the MR
place, had 4K people and was built for 2K.

I do not know of a class of people in this country that are treated worse -
as in 3rd world worse.

Henry - jump in any time and update me and the group.  I have not kept up
with this issue.

bill w

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <